tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Quilleash " <mike.quille...@subexazure.com>
Subject RE: Memory leaks on webapp redeploy
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 08:25:29 GMT
I'm running on 6, I've just in the prototyping stage so using an early release version is fine.

I did notice that in 6 anyway (haven't looked at 5.5) that the releaseResources() calls this..

        // Clear the classloader reference in common-logging
        org.apache.juli.logging.LogFactory.release(this);

Which looks very similar to commons logging but has juli in the package instead.  Probably
is the same thing, just under another name maybe.  Even the comment says common-logging.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rémy Maucherat [mailto:remy.maucherat@gmail.com]
Sent: 28 November 2006 23:37
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Memory leaks on webapp redeploy

On 11/28/06, Mike Quilleash <mike.quilleash@subexazure.com> wrote:
> As a brief aside I found the following code in the
> WebAppClassLoader.releaseResources() of Tomcat 6, so it looks like
> some of the well-known caches are being cleared out by Tomcat itself.

Are you using 5.5 or 6.0 ? If you're using 5.5, then you should be looking at the 5.5 source.

At the end of the clearReferences method in 5.5, the commons-logging reference to the classloader
is cleared again (along with other leak friendly static fields) so no leak can occur because
of usage of logging in this method. Investigation has shown there was no leaking related to
logging (and actually no reference being kept anywhere).

Rémy

 This e-mail is bound by the terms and conditions described at http://www.subexazure.com/mail-disclaimer.html