tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: How to get fields list in order
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 14:53:19 GMT
> From: David Kerber [mailto:dckerber@verizon.net]
> Subject: Re: How to get fields list in order
>
> Then I could just check the field type, and increment the
> byte counter by the appropriate amount (i.e. if the java
> field type is int, then I know the width in the passed
> structure is 4 bytes, etc).

If the structure is intended to mirror the layout of the Java object,
then your assumptions are flawed.  For example, in a 64-bit JVM,
integers are 8 bytes wide, of which only 4 are actually used.  Also,
booleans have no defined size, and JVM implementations are free to
allocate whatever space deemed appropriate, from 1 bit upwards.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.