tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Asensio, Rodrigo" <rodrigo.asen...@gilbarco.com>
Subject RE: How stable is tomcat
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2006 19:12:00 GMT
We had thousands of problems with Sun JDK that is why we switched to IBM
JDK who manage GC in a great manner.

You see the progress of the memory going down but it recover every
single bit. Sun jdk always recover but there is some remaining memory
that he do not release.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rainer Jung [mailto:rainer.jung@kippdata.de]
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 2:06 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: How stable is tomcat

I also know a couple of instances which ran under high load for a couple
of months. Usually though the frequency for changes in the apps are
higher than that.

Be careful: I would avoid hot deployment in critical production.

Also: It's not totally unusual for apps to have memory leaks. So minotor
your memory usage in the first weeks to check, if it gets stable.

Regards,

Rainer

David Kerber schrieb:
> Dima Retov wrote:
>
>> How stable is tomcat with Sun's HotSpot JVM 1.5?
>>
>> Right now we have apache servers that are up for 3 and 4 months.
>> So I guess apache 1.3 may works for months.
>>
>> How stable is tomcat against apache or other webservers?
>>
>> Would tomcat be able to work 1 year without restart?
>>

> I've had three instances of 5.5.12 running on the same machine for 6
> months without a restart, and that restart 6 months ago was due to a
> power failure.  One of those instances gets around 2 million
> transactions per day.
>
>> I ask that because tomcat with eclipse became unstable twice today.
>> (May be it was happening because of debugging mode of JVM)
>>

> It's probably not due to tomcat; you have a lot more going on than
> just a tomcat server in that situation.
>
> Dave

immediately.