tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rizwan Merchant <rizwan.merch...@sysconet.ca>
Subject monitoring open connections to tomcat
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:29:05 GMT

Hi,
We are running a couple of webapps on the same tomcat instance. We are
using apache web server along with the mod_jk connector to forward
requests to tomcat.

A couple of weeks ago we had a situation where the tomcat process ran
out of file connections (we got an error of the sort "too many open
files"). I dont have the exact error on me, but as per our developer, as
a security measure linux restricts the number of connections (files,
sockets, etc) a process can use and the default is 1024.

The number of open connections can be viewed using the command
lsof -p <pid>

We had to restart the server at that point, and have been monitoring
this ever since. I now see that the number is creeping up again, and I
have noticed many entries of the following type
jsvc    26517 tomcat   90u  sock        0,5            6921708 can't
identify protocol

Can anyone identify what this "can't identify protocol" means? There are
quite a few of them and I am wondering if this is causing the problem
when the server is running for a while.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Riz.