tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: How to get fields list in order
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 15:17:51 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

>David,
>

>>>Since you mentioned byte offsets, I have to ask: are you trying to
>>>subvert the serialization system? Or, even worse, inspect the object
>>>memory from with JNI?
>>>

>>The latter, sort of.  I'm using a package which puts a wrapper around
>>JNI to make it easier to create windows standard .dll's from java
>>classes, and passing them structures from Visual Basic and other
>>external apps.  To modify return parameters, I need the byte offsets of
>>the various pieces of the structure, which I'm mirroring in my java
>>classes.
>>

>Why not just use the built-in JNI C-to-Java capabilities? If you need to

I don't know C, and don't have access to a C compiler.

>modify objects, why not "modify" them by creating new objects containing
>the desired data, instead of trying to lobotomize an existing object?
>
>Perhaps I don't really understand what you are doing.

The only time I have to modify memory addresses is when I write the
results back to the output, and the grunt work of that is handled by the
package I bought.  I just have to supply an offset into the passed
structure.  All the processing in java is done with standard java
techniques, classes and methods, and I don't care about the offsets or
actual memory used by the java field values.  I was just using the data
type of the java class fields as an indicator to tell me what offset to
allow in the passed structure, but not necessarily using the java type's
actual size.

Dave