tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Andrew Friebel" <>
Subject Client Authentication
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2006 05:03:53 GMT
Has anyone got SSL working with client authentication?  If so, please
I have no issues with standard SSL.
Standard SSL:
keytool -genkey -alias <alias> -keystore <keystore> -kayalg RSA
Answer all the questions
Edit server.xml file.
I am then away and working with SSL for self signed certificates.  No
issues here for me whatsoever.
Client authentication:
I am having absolutely no luck with client authentication.
Is there a step by step guide to get this working for client
Currently I seemed to believe that my client certificate needs to be a
PKCS12 format.  I do not know if this statement is true or false, and I
do not know enough about openssl to ensure that I have a client
certificate in this format.  Can I create my client keystore using
keytool, then export the certificate, and somehow change the format type
before I import it into the keystore on my server as a trusted
certificate?  Do I need to use openssl at all?
I can't even access a page using client authentication using a browser.
When I use a browser, I accept the server certificate, and I get an
exception, and the socket closes (before I select my client
certificate), why?  I first need to get past this step.