tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Aronszajn, Mark" <maron...@fhcrc.org>
Subject RE: a discrepancy in webapp behavior in two environments
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 02:55:13 GMT
Thanks for the information. I had checked Firefox in each environment (I think I mentioned
this) to be sure that cookies were allowed, but I didn't realize that a firewall might block
cookies.

I really appreciate the help.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com]
Sent: Wed 10/18/2006 5:15 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: a discrepancy in webapp behavior in two environments

-----Original Message-----
From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com]
Sent: Wed 10/18/2006 5:15 PM
To: Tomcat Users List

> From: Aronszajn, Mark [mailto:maronsza@fhcrc.org]
> Subject: RE: a discrepancy in webapp behavior in two environments
>
> Could you explain how the configuration of a firewall would have such
> effect on whether the original HttpSession object gets retained?

If you're not appending jsessionid ro the URL, you must be using cookies
to allow the server to identify the client.  Some smart (?) firewalls
(or proxy servers) can be configured to drop cookies.  For an example,
see this thread:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=107017907404496&w=2

Note that it could be a firewall installed on your Windows box, not just
an external one.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.