tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Problem Using Tomcat Connector on Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 13:52:24 GMT
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Problem Using Tomcat Connector on Windows 2000
> Advanced Server
>
> > After installation, I wanted to test if I
> > could then view JSP pages, so I just created a temporary folder in
> > the /webapps/ folder called /testing/ and dumped in helloworld.jsp.
>
> That's not enough: you have to actually create a webapp in order for
> Tomcat to deploy it. You need a META-INF/context.xml file (unless you
> want to configure your context in server.xml, but my understanding is
> that it's better to use context.xml).
>
> You'll also need a WEB-INF/web.xml file.

Actually, you don't need either, not for simple connection testing.
What the OP was doing will suffice for his purposes - the jsp runs as
part of the default app (ROOT).  (For example, this is exactly how the
reference to admin is handled when the optional admin app is not
installed.)  Real, independent webapps may or may not need a <Context>
element, depending on whether or not the defaults in conf/context.xml
suffice; you can even get away without a WEB-INF if the app is simple
enough (e.g., all static content) and has its docBase specified
explicitly.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.