tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Alan Burlison" <alan.burli...@gmail.com>
Subject Running tomcat on port 80 on Solaris 10 or above
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2006 21:04:57 GMT
On 27/10/06, Asensio, Rodrigo <rodrigo.asensio@gilbarco.com> wrote:
> Yes sir! This simple solution worked in the first try!!!
> Thanks man!
>
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 8080
>
> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 8080 -j ACCEPT

For anyone who is running on Solaris 10 or above, there's an even
better way - use SMF to start tomcat, and in the SMF manifest, add
this to the start service definition:

<method_credential user='webservd' group='webservd'
    privileges='basic,net_privaddr' />

Adjust as appropriate for the user & group you are running tomcat
under, of course.  This allows the tomcat user to open low-numbered
ports for the duration of startup.sh.

I'm mentioning this here because I haven't seen it documented anywhere
- hopefully people will be able to find it in the archives in future
;-)

--
Alan Burlison