tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Very basic web server hosting question
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:44:44 GMT
I understand the frustration, but at the same time, this is a more or
less basic web/network administration question.  You need to read your
cable router manual for how to forward traffic to a specific port (80)
to a specific machine on the inside of your firewall or setup your
server system to be in the DMZ.  You'll also have to learn how to
register a DNS domain name if you haven't already and point name servers
to the public IP port your cable router is on.

There is one point that could be considered tomcat specific.  You may
need to set proxyName and proxyPort on the connector in your server.xml
receiving traffic from your cable router.  It's mostly so the outside
people get correct redirect responses and the links are written correctly.

--David

CANADAFAST INC. wrote:

>I don't care if anyone finds this question interesting or not. I just want a solution,
if it were in the linksys manual then I would not have posted the question, I tried solving
the problem by calling the linksys tech support, also  had a chat session with them, but they
don't understand the problem itself.

>Pid <p@pidster.com> wrote:
>  The reason no-one is finding this an interesting question is that it's
>not really anything to do with Tomcat.
>
>Your LinkSys router probably has a manual, or at least some basic
>instructions for how to map external ports to the internal server.
>

>CANADAFAST INC. wrote:
>

>>Hello!
>>

>>I am a new tomcat 5.5 user. I have created some JSPs and they run perfectly in my
PC using tomcat.

>>I want to make my PC a webserver, so that ppl from outside can access my JSPs through
tomcat 5.5 running on my system.

>>My PC is connected to a router and my router is connected to a cable modem which has
a static ip address from my cable ISP.

>>But after that I don't know what to do further. How should I configure my tomcat,
so that ppl from outside can access my JSP website.

>>hOW SHOULD i access my pc from outside through my linksys router from port 8080 in
which tomcat is running on my pc.