tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rizwan Merchant <rizwan.merch...@sysconet.ca>
Subject tomcat memory usage questions
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2006 13:41:17 GMT
Hi,
We recently developed and deployed a web based application using the
following technologies...

Struts
Spring
Hibernate 3.0
Mysql 5.0
tomcat 5.5
Linux Fedora Core 4

After the system went live, I have been monitoring the CPU and memory
usages. I dread the outOfMemory errors and am a little paranoid about it.

There are 2 main processes I am monitoring, tomcat and mysqld.
The tomcat process memory usage is slowly creeping up...after 8 hours of
application usage it is at 13.3% and the mysqld memory usage is at 1.3%.

I am wondering what kind of pattern I should be observing for the memory
usages. Should it go up and then down again (like the CPU usage)? Or is
it ok for it to slowly go up (the way it is doing right now)? The swap
memory is not being used, so I am guessing thats a good thing.

Also, someone told me that hibernate and spring will try and cache
everything it can, which could be the cause of the memory creeping up
slowly. Is this true? and if it is, will this be a problem when the
memory gets to a high number like 80 or 90% ?

Also, is there a way to tell if there are any processes spawned by
tomcat that are hanging around uselessly?

Any help, ideas, tips would be appreciated. I am just concerned about
having any memory issues with this LIVE application.

Thanks,
-Riz.

<http://forum.springframework.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=79473>