tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Alistair McDonald" <>
Subject tomcat can't serve HTML pages more than 48K in size
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:09:15 GMT

Hi all.

I have a tomcat 5.5.9 installation set up. I only use it to serve HTML
pages - no JSP. The HTML is doxygen generated, and validates as HTML 4.01
according to the w3 validator.

Tomcat happily serves up pages up to 48K in size, but above that size it
returns an error to the browser:

--------------------BEGIN ERROR MESSAGE--------------------
HTTP Status 404 - /builds/pages/html/classes.html

type Status report

message /builds/pages/html/classes.html

description The requested resource (/builds/pages/html/classes.html) is
not available.
Apache Tomcat/5.5.9
--------------------END ERROR MESSAGE--------------------

I can take a file just under 48K in size, and it's served OK. Then, I can
edit the file, making it more than 48K, and tomcat fails to serve it. It's
not the permissions on the file, only the size that changes.

There is nothing in the error log pertaining to the 404 error, even with
debug information being logged.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this?

Alistair McDonald, InRevo Ltd (
Author of the SpamAssassin book: (
Tel: 07017 467 396 (Office) / 07812 829 020 (Mobile)

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message