tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "DE VINZELLES, Guillaume \(ext.\)" <Guillaume.DEVINZELLES.prestata...@neufcegetel.fr>
Subject RE: JDBC Pool exhaustion
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2006 15:53:58 GMT
Thanks a lot all of you!
I'll keep you posted.

Guillaume de Vinzelles
DSI/PFS Neuf Cegetel
Altran Technologies

guillaume.devinzelles@neufcegetel.fr

01 70 18 21 64

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Martin Gainty [mailto:mgainty@hotmail.com]
Envoyé : mercredi 11 octobre 2006 17:16
À : Tomcat Users List
Objet : Re: JDBC Pool exhaustion

If you have 1000 connections then you would be well advised to use connection pooling
more specifically you need to separate the activities of
settingup a connection from
getting the connection

you also need to separate the activities of
freeing the connection from
connection teardown

connection setup and teardown are expensive operations and should be used judiciously
continous connection setup and teardown will not only bog down the app but slow the DB as
it furiously tries to keep up with these resource requests

A vert good primer for setting up connection pools is available at
http://www.webdevelopersjournal.com/columns/connection_pool.html

A word on SEH
for non oo single threaded environments you may swallow the exception if you have deemed the
execution of the statement as optional
If the statement is required then I would always raise a meaningful exception and not swallow
it

If you have a OO env such as Java you should raise the exception and handle it by the outermost
handler in a structured way (definition of SEH)
as an aside I usually pass error_code and description

Feel free to Contact me offline for particulars of how to implement,
M-