tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <hwadechandler-apa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: CGI vs SMTP vs Tomcat
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 15:20:05 GMT
--- HALSTEAD SGT WARREN F <HALSTEADWF@boxer.usmc.mil>
wrote:
> Good Afternoon,
>
> 	I am running Tomcat 5 with CGI enabled. I am
> attempting to use
> Net::SMTP to send e-mail, and it works fine from the
> command line, but
> not running as a CGI script. I have scoured the
> internet and found other
> people with this problem, but the derisive answer to
> their pleas for
> help has been "Write it in Java dummy!"
>
> 	I do not have that option, and so I must ask if
> there is some
> security function in Tomcat or a workaround, that
> allows perl CGI
> scripts to make a socket connection to port 25 of
> another server.
>
> 	Thank you for your help in this matter. If you feel
> any other
> details are required to troubleshoot my problem,
> please feel free to
> contact me and ask.
>
> Very Respectfully,
>
> ~Sgt Halstead
> 15th MEU
> USMC

On the same machine running your CGI script from the
command line and setting up the appropriate env
variables does it work, or using the same code and
using command line application does it work?  There
should be no difference.  The CGI module will have to
run it as a normal CGI, and java definitely has no
firewall or blocking capabilities unless someone codes
them and starts them.  It sounds like something else
on the system or a script error to me.

Wade