tomcat-users mailing list archives

From adrena.keat...@nl.abnamro.com
Subject Re: Perm Gen not being released in GC
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:22:48 GMT
Hi Stephanie,

Im a Project Manager, not a techie but we had the same problem and had to
increase the perm gen to the following:  Tomcat sets it at default at 64MB.
Perm Gen Memory: 150 MB
Max Perm Gen: 256 MB

We where getting perm gen out of memory errors which is why we did this.
This stabilised the environment but we still have problems with our Heap
Memory filling up and not been garbage collected properly.

Kind Regards
Adrena Keating
EDS Project Manager,
ABN AMRO NL Solution Centre

Tel:      +31-20-6299038
Mobile: +31-6-22574953

                      Stephen Caine

                      <stephen@commong         To:      "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>

                      rnd.com>                 cc:

                                               Subject: Re: Perm Gen not being released in
GC
                      09/15/2006 05:31

                      PM

                      Please respond

                      to "Tomcat Users

                      List"

Darren,

> Every now and then JConsole shows Old Gen as having flat-lined.
> Only a Tomcat restart can rectify the problem.  Killing sessions
> followed by a manual GC does not seem to have an effect.
>
> Haven't yet determined whether we need to start looking at the
> young to old heap allocation ratios - is this the main area I
> should be looking into?

We see this same behavior.  I too am interested in comments from
others.  We are running on a OS X Server; JVM v1.5.

Stephen Caine
Soft Breeze Systems, LLC

privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised
use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly
prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change. ABN AMRO
Bank N.V, which has its seat at Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and is
registered in the Commercial Register under number 33002587, including its
group companies, shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete
transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any
delay in its receipt or damage to your system. ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (or its
group companies) does not guarantee that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free of
viruses, interceptions or interference.