tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Kurt Roy" <k...@prosrm.com>
Subject tomcat 5.5.17 catalina.bat - dropping support for JPDA_OPTS environment variable?
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2006 15:42:49 GMT
Hello,

We have upgraded from tomcat 4.1.18 to 5.5.17, and have found that our
system start up process on Windows can no longer set jpda debugger
options on the tomcat java command line.

This occurs because the 5.5.17 catalina.bat file no longer supports the
environment variable $JPDA_OPTS, which our start up process used to use
to place jpda information. What is interesting is that catalina.sh STILL
supports JPDA_OPTS. So we have this problem on windows only.

Is this an intentional change?

We have fixed the problem by instead specifying JPDA_TRANSPORT and
JPDA_ADDRESS. However, this fix is only partial - with the catalina.bat
script unaltered, it is not possible to set suspend=y, as it is
hard-coded to suspend=n on the %_EXECJAVA% command lines

We updated the script and added a JPDA_SUSPEND environment variable, but
it would be nice to not have to change the script, as this will cause
upgrade issues.

We would like to back out the JPDA_SUSPEND change if there is a newer
fix.

Thanks for your time,

Kurt Roy
PROS Revenue Management
3100 Main Street, Suite 900
Houston, TX 77002
Phone: 713-335-8007
Email: kroy@prosrm.com

The information contained in this email may be confidential and/or legally privileged. It
has been sent for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If the reader of this message
is not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized review, use, disclosure,
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the
sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you