tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Steven Bell <sfb...@keasdesign.net>
Subject Re: Upgrade from 2000 to 2003
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 02:47:47 GMT
I use the redirector version 1.2.15 or 1.2.14,  with a binary installer
(msi.)  1.2.18 does not appear to have a .msi installer yet.
I have Tomcat 5.5.17 running on several windows servers, some with IIS
6, some with 5 and one with 5.1 (my windows xp system.) On all, I used
the .msi installer.
I would recommend using 1.2.15 for ease of setup.

Here is a short guide to getting started.
First, download the msi package and run it. This will install the files,
and make some necessary registry entries.
Then:
Steps in IIS (these steps are generally done for the default site by the
installer.):
1a. Create a virtual directory called jakarta. Make sure it points to
the bin directory from the install (typically this is x:\Program
Files\Apache Software Foundation\Jakarta Isapi Redirector\bin)
2a. Add an ISAPI filter to the site.

Steps in the x:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Jakarta Isapi
Redirector\conf directory.
1b. Configure the worker files. (I can provide examples if you need some
Windows specific)
2b. Configure the URIMap file. (Again I can provide examples.)

Steps to get everything working:
1c. Restart Tomcat (make sure that in server.xml you have uncommented
the redirector connector, and specified a port (typically it points to
8009). This port should be the same as the port for the worker in worker
file in step 1b.
2c. Restart IIS Admin in Control Panel > Administration > Services.

You should now be able to browse over to any mapped url. I haven't tried
to get the administration and manager web apps to work, figuring the
less accessible they are the better off I am. Whenever you make a change
to the files in 1b or 2b, you must restart IIS Admin (or world wide web
publishing) for the changes to take effect.

In the system registry, HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Apache Software
Foundation\Jakarta Isapi Redirector\1.0 there are several useful entries.
1. log_file -> this key holds the file path to your log file. Very
useful for tracking down why a redirect may not be working.
2. log_level -> I set this to debug during setup and configuration. The
most verbose output, the most detail. After everything is working, I
change it to Info.
3. extension_uri, names the dll for redirection. I wouldn't change this.
4. worker_file, path to worker file. I wouldn't change this.
5. worker_mount_file, path to the URIMap file. I wouldn't change this.

I hope this helps out. If you have any questions, or would like to see
some sample configs, please let me know I would be happy to share the
information with you.

Steven.