tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "david.delbecq" <david.delb...@oma.be>
Subject Re: Perm Gen not being released in GC
Date Sat, 16 Sep 2006 11:39:52 GMT
This has been discussed quite a lot on mailing list. Lots of things can
generate memory leaks in webapp environment. Amongst others:
- not nullifying threadlocal variable.
- use of singleton pattern
- some bugged versions of CGlib

take a look at older messages in this mailing list
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&w=2&r=1&s=permgen&q=b

Darren Kukulka a écrit :
> Hi All,
>

> Throughput Garbage collection on a 5.5.15 Tomcat instance is failing to
> release Old Gen heap space when it becomes full on one of our Windows
> installations.
>

> For the most part GC does release memory - in a typical working day this is
> an upward trend in terms of the amount of heap reclaimed, gradually becoming
> a downward trend late in the day.
>

> Every now and then JConsole shows Old Gen as having flat-lined.  Only a
> Tomcat restart can rectify the problem.  Killing sessions followed by a
> manual GC does not seem to have an effect.
>

> Haven't yet determined whether we need to start looking at the young to old
> heap allocation ratios - is this the main area I should be looking into?
>

> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Darren Kukulka
>

> Connaught honoured AIM 'Decade of Excellence' Award
>

> Connaught awarded Partnering Contractor of the Year 2005
>

> Connaught wins AIM 'Company of the Year' award 2004
>

> West of England Business of the Year Award Winner 2003
>

> Why not visit our website http://www.connaught.plc.uk
>

> Disclaimer:
>
> The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information
by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this
in error, please contact the sender and delete this message.