tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Aborting servlet init() method
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2006 09:15:59 GMT
I was looking at this very recently.

If the init() method throws a javax.servlet.UnavailableException(), it
will be marked as unavailable.  Take a look at the javadocs -- one
invocation of this exception takes a time param that tells tomcat to try
again after a set timeout period.  That way it can periodically try
again if the failure is because of database problems.

--David

Peter Bauer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i have the following problem here:
> If the used database is not available at startup of the servlet, the
> initialization should be aborted and the servlet should be in a
> stopped state to be able to start it again if the database is
> available again.
> Waiting for the database is not an option since some processes will be
> left running when tomcat is stopped without a working database.
> So my question is how a servlet can be stopped from within the
> servlet? Throw some kind of exception?
>
> thx,
> Peter

David Smith