tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <hwadechandler-apa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: moving to linux
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:08:33 GMT
--- David Rees <drees76@gmail.com> wrote:
> I doubt that switching to
> Linux from
> Windows will solve your performance problem. Have
> you identified what
> your performance bottleneck is now?
>
> -Dave

Yes I would have to second that.  I love Linux, but
not knowing where the real issue with your performance
is will just leave you unsatisfied if the issue is
with your application because no matter what you do
outside of the application performance won't be
boosted significantly.  I would profile my application
and see where in my code the application is spending
most of it's time.  If you can't figure out any
metrics that give you any clues try to break down your
dependencies and profile them independently and see
what you get there.  Maybe you have slow database
creation and are not using database pooling.  This can
slow down an application considerably, but don't count
out other factors.

Wade