tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Li <ampyx...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: getRealPath and war file
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 02:27:54 GMT
Hi,

Most of j2ee application servers (tomcat, jboss) when a war or ear
file is deployed. It will generate a folder which contains the same
file structure (web application format) as which is in the war or ear
file.

A war is considered as a file but not a path. So if Tomcat only reads
war but not a directory based content, it has problem (when changes to
parent path, or changes to child path). Besides, a war is a packed jar
file, reading a directory based content is a lot more easier and
faster than a packed jar file.

On 8/9/06, Romain Quilici <r.quilici@chem.usyd.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I know that this question has been asked many times, but still something
> not clear for me.
> When an application is deployed as a war file, (as mentioned in the
> javadoc, or in several messages), context.getRealPath() will return null.
> However, Tomcat creates automatically a directory under webapps to
> contain war file contents, so I am wondering if Tomcat is using the
> newly generated directory to load the application(1st case) or
> the war file (2nd case).
> In the first case context.getRealPath("/") should return the path to the
> newly generated directory.
> In the second case, why does Tomcat generate the directory to contain
> war file contents?
> Thanks for the explanation
> Regards
> Romain