tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Li <ampyx...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Servlet that needs ROOT access
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 11:14:37 GMT
It is possible to run as non root (assume the "root" here is "root"
for Unix/Linux?)
you can create a specific user say "tomcat" but still assign with
group root, or you can create group "tomcat", make sure your jdk is
accessible by the tomcat user and or group

Is you mean the root application in tomcat, yes you can, simply copy
your web app structure (index.*, WEB-INF .... ) into root, or you can
modify the server.xml baseDoc pointing to / but not webapps, so when
you type xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080, it will start up your application ....

Not sure whether it is what you are asking..

On 8/1/06, Paul McMahon <pmcmahon@software.plasmon.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to run Tomcat as non ROOT (desirable as I see from FAQs/other
> threads), but have a servlet that needs ROOT access?
>
> Or is the solution to have the servlet application code running as a separate
> daemon outside tomcat, with some form of comms to tomcat servlet when tasks
> need to be done?
>

> -Paul

When we invent time, we invent death.