tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "anjan bacchu" <anjan.sum...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Handling huge amount data
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:12:11 GMT
Hi Jose,

  Are you using Java 5.x(1.5.x) ?   If so, you can watch your JVM's runtime
behavior using the JConsole( in the JAVA_HOME/bin directory) ? It has helped
me earlier on to debug OOM situations.

You need to restart your tomcat so that you can add the required parameters
in your startup.bat/startup.sh script.

Here's what I did to change my tomcat(5.5.17 but also works in any 5.x) to
allow JMX monitoring (from JConsole). I just added the line after the label
doneSetArgs

====================
:doneSetArgs
set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
rem Execute Java with the applicable properties

JConsole will let you monitor your memory usage and also track heap and
non-heap memory. You can also force a gc on your tomcat JVM from JConsole.
It lets you monitor various pools like Eden Space, Survivor, Tenured, Perm,
Code Cache, Perm Gen rw, Perm Gen RO, etc. That should give you some insight
into what is happening within Tomcat.

for more info on JConsole, see
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/09/29/tigerjmx.html

BR,