tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Sharma, Siddharth" <Siddharth.Sha...@Staples.com>
Subject Load balancing question
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2006 18:37:22 GMT
We have a 12 (tomcat 5.5.16) instance cluster on 4 physical machines running
redhat linux. There is an Apache installed on each machine (4 mod_jks). Each
mod_jk's worker.properties is configured exactly the same way i.e. each
mod-jk load-balances across all 12 tomcat instances. All instances have the
same weights in each mod_jk and sticky sessions are enabled.
>From Rainer Jung's email, I understand now that there are three
load-balancing algorithms and 'busyness' seems to be the default.
But with this algorithm, the workload distribution is uneven during a load
test.
The reason I can think of is that since there are 4 mod_jk load balancers
with no knowledge of each other's counts, the distribution is getting
screwed up. Is this a fair assessment? Is there a way to solve it?
We do need this redundancy in load balancers, so cannot get rid of any.