tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Peter Crowther" <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject [OT] RE: IIS vs Tomcat
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:00:28 GMT
> From: Propes, Barry L [mailto:barry.l.propes@citigroup.com]
> Leon is correct...IIS -- without help from something like
> Tomcat -- cannot host web apps in Java, only ASP (or in
> Win2003 and above, ASP.NET).

Just so as not to spread misinformation: IIS5 (in Windows 2000) can
quite happily handle ASP.Net.  So can the version of IIS in Windows XP.
I regularly develop and deploy ASP.Net apps on these OSs.  There are
also licensing advantages to deploying authenticated Internet
applications on Windows 2000 against Windows 2003 - Microsoft made some
quiet changes to the licensing terms between the two OSs.

I accept this is off-topic for a Tomcat list, hence the [OT] above.  I
also agree that IIS is not a servlet container and cannot host Java
webapps.

		- Peter