tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Peter Crowther" <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: IIS vs Tomcat
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:35:32 GMT
> From: gurusamy.senthil [mailto:senthil_paul_2k@rediffmail.com]
> Can any one give me idea, What is the difference between
> Microsoft IIS server and Tomcat Server.
>
> Which is best and has better security to work, develop and for deploy.

Ooh, religious wars :-).

- Both are Web servers;
- Both are "fast enough" and have enough features for most applications;
- Both have "good enough" security if correctly deployed and configured;
- Both support hot deployment;
- Both are "good enough" to develop for if you have or can buy in the
appropriate skill-set;
- Tomcat is free and portable to non-Windows OSs; IIS requires a Windows
OS license and potentially further licenses.

If you're developing Java servlet-based applications, Tomcat is good.
If you're developing ASP.Net applications and are willing to limit
yourself to deploying on Microsoft WIndows, IIS is good.  If you're
developing PHP applications, Apache httpd is good.  What are you doing?

		- Peter

PS. So far, I've spent part of the afternoon debugging an ASP.Net app,
another part debugging a servlet, and another part patching a PHP app.
I don't have an axe to grind :-)