tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Peter Crowther" <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject [OT] RE: Servlet that needs ROOT access
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 14:48:06 GMT
[Marked OT as this is now some distance from Tomcat]

> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> I might even go farther and suggest that you go with
> more a batch-job-list configuration

I was assuming the app was for interactive control and that the OP
wanted the user of the webapp to see the outcome of their actions.  If
that's not the case, I agree that this approach can be made more secure
and would also recommend it.

> With batch-style processing, you generally treat everything
> as data and
> not as a command (as one might be tempted do when firing off a process
> from within the JVM).

I disagree somewhat.  Sooner or later you're going to be invoking
commands like mkfs from the command line, so you're building that
command line anyway; you're simply a little further inside the walls
before you need to do so.

		- Peter