tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Zohar" <david_fi...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: configuring Tomcat for protocols other than http/s
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2006 08:40:09 GMT
Is there anything more about this, other than the (very poor) javadocs, or is the only option
is looking in the code?

"Viraj Turakhia" <virajturakhia@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I am starting to work with Tomcat's code and have no clue where to start
> from.
> Any pointers would be very very helpful.

Well, one method is to implement your own ProtocolHandler (
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/catalina/docs/api/org/apache/coyote/ProtocolHandler.html).

This is responsible for setting up the Request and Response objects,
threading, and handling sending and receiving data on the protocol.  It then
hands off the Request and Response to the service method of the Adapter
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/catalina/docs/api/org/apache/coyote/Adapter.html)

that Tomcat passed to it.  The MemoryProtocolHandler
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/catalina/docs/api/org/apache/coyote/memory/MemoryProtocolHandler.html)

is the easiest if you want an example.  You'll probably also want to
implement ActionHook
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/catalina/docs/api/org/apache/coyote/ActionHook.html)

for best results.  You tell Tomcat to use yours via:
  <Connector protocol="com.myfirm.mypackage.MyProtocolHandler" .... />

> To start with, I would like to know whether Tomcat is configurable to work
> with protocols other than http/https?

Well, it comes with AJP/1.3 support ;-).  However, the servlet container
neutral to the protocol (that's the job of the ProtocolHandler :).