tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Miehs <>
Subject Re: 10,000 Virtual Hosts in a Tomcat instance
Date Sat, 26 Aug 2006 11:10:19 GMT

?! Now I am confused ?!

10,000 connections and 10,000 virtual hosts have NOTHING to do with
one another.

As to 10,000 virtual hosts in Tomcat, vs 10,000 virtual hosts in

No idea - I don't think 10,000 virtual hosts on either is a good idea.
But with Tomcat, you have 10,000 'WebApps' ie: at least 10,000
objects, ignoring what ever else the webapp initialises, vs a look up
table (probably a hash) in Apache.

I don't think it is a very scalable solution.

According to the original poster, all 10,000 webapps, are the same,
so I would look at only having 1 web app, and dealing with the
'virtual hosting' inside my webapp.

On 26/08/2006, at 12:47 PM, Mladen Turk wrote:

> Andrew Miehs wrote:
>> Are we referring to 10,000 Virtual servers or 10,000 Connections?
>> And the answer is yes to 10000 connections.
> It does not matter. 10000 Virtual hosts in Apache
> would require as much memory as 10000 Hosts in Tomcat.
> Once when you break the JVM latency, there is no much
> difference between Java or any other 'optimized' program.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (Darwin)

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: