tomcat-users mailing list archives

From KEGan <khoon.ee....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 10,000 Virtual Hosts in a Tomcat instance
Date Sat, 26 Aug 2006 08:59:12 GMT
Edoardo,

The websites can be added and edited dynamically by the corresponding
owners. I am buidling something like Blogger.com. Where users can edit their
websites and published it. The engine is built using Tapestry.

Currently, I am using a servlet filter to forward Http requests to the
corresponding directories based on the subdomain. I think using virtual
hosts in tomcat would be a cleaner solution.

The reason for using Tomcat is simply ease of use, and I can dynamically
configure Tomcat using JMX (e.g. to add subdomain). Also, I have read that
using Tomcat to serve static HTML isnt really any slower compare to Apache
HTTP Server.

I wanted to find out from the Tomcat user commnunity if anyone is using
Tomcat with a large amount of virtual hosts. If anyone has any experience on
this, I will greatly appreciate if you can shed some light.

Thanks.