tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Level, Haroldo (Jr)" <le...@hp.com>
Subject RE: Import user defined class not working
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:42:51 GMT
Hello all,

The issue was solved. The error was not related to tomcat but to an error in the code that
I missed, thanks Hassan for your help. And thanks everybody else for your sugestions I will
look into them

Regards,
Haroldo Level

-----Original Message-----
From: Lou Caudell [mailto:lcaudell@wtceng.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 10:25 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Import user defined class not working

Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> Level, Haroldo (Jr) wrote:
>
>> Im trying to import a class into a JSP file.
>>
>> At the beginning I got the an error saying "Generated servlet error:
>> Only a type can be imported. SDTDeal resolves to a package"
>>
>> After a lot of googling I found  I wasn't placing my class files in
>> the WEB-INF\classes\ directory and my classes weren't public. But
>> after I fixed all of that I got the following error:
>>
>> "An error occurred at line: 113 in the jsp file: /SD
>> Tool/CheckNew.jsp Generated servlet error:
>> SDTDeal cannot be resolved"
>>
> [...]
>
>>  <%@ page import="SDT.SDTDeal" %>
>>

> You should have
> WEB-INF\classes\SDT\SDTDeal.class
> Is that so?
> BTW: case matters.
>
> Regards
>   mks

Looks like you're developing without using a good IDE. Not using one is actually more time
consuming and difficult than using one for java web development. Besides you will pickup the
structure more easily, and it will be in a portable .war file. I suggest Netbeans. It's free.
Also, look into MVC2 architecture, so you won't need to expose your db password. After all
a jsp is a text file.

- Lou Caudell