tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Edoardo Panfili <edoa...@aspix.it>
Subject Re: Need Help w. Null Pointer Exception.
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 07:00:47 GMT
Steve R Burrus ha scritto:
> I need some pretty immediate help/assistance with always getting a
> NullPointerException Java exception when I try to view a particular
> image in my favorite web browser!!! The line of text in my servlet file
> which is, I think, problemmatic is a while loop. Well here is my entire
> servlet file for someone to take a look at to hopefully help me with
> this problem.
>
>                     package org.stephen.burris;
>
>                         import java.io.*;
>                         import javax.servlet.*;
>                         import javax.servlet.http.*;
>
>  public class One_More_Time extends HttpServlet {
>     public void doGet(HttpServletRequest rq, HttpServletResponse rp )
> throws
>                       ServletException, IOException {
>        rp.setContentType( "image/jpeg" );
>
>        ServletContext sc = getServletContext ();
>        InputStream is = sc.getResourceAsStream("/pamandersonnaked.jpeg");
>
>        int read = 0;
>        byte [] bytes = new byte[ 1024 ];
>
>        OutputStream os = rp.getOutputStream ();
>        while ((read = is.read(bytes)) != -1) {
>        os.write( bytes, 0, read);
>        }
>
>        os.flush();
>        os.close();
>   }
> }
>
> And the server error :
>
>  HTTP Status 500 -

> type Exception report
>
> message
>
> description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented
> it from fulfilling this request.
>
> exception
>
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>     org.stephen.burris.One_More_Time.doGet(One_More_Time.java:19)
>     javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:689)
>     javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
>
> note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache
> Tomcat/5.5.17 logs.

>      Apache Tomcat/5.5.17

line #19 is "while ((read = is.read(bytes)) != -1) {" ?

if so do you can check that "is" is not null?
Are you using some logging system? (log4j?)

Try to put "is.read(bytes)" before the loop and reload the page.
If the problem is on that line check the path of the file.

Edoardo

--
edoardo@aspix.it
AIM: edoardopn