tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mikolaj Rydzewski <m...@ceti.pl>
Subject Re: hot deployment questions
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:48:38 GMT
Hammad Sophie wrote:
> I wasn't aware of SessionManager. However, I'm not sure it will help.
> Generally we are installing patches on a live server that has
> transactions/activity going on while we patch. I'd like to know if its
> possible for us to do a hot patch without causing any disruption to any
> user. If we reload, it will cause users to lose data that they are
> working on.

You can try to use custom classloader to load/unload specific classes on
demand. But it's a tricky issue - you have to be sure, that there's no
instance of a class being unloaded.

Maybe some kind of cluster would help - you shutdown one node, update
it, bring it back, do the same with the second node, and users - in
theory - don't see any problem.

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski <miki@ceti.pl>