tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Boris Unckel <boris.unckel....@gmx.net>
Subject Re: turning logging on for JSF on tomcat 5.0.28
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2006 16:11:48 GMT
Hello Tolga,

Tolga.Umut@thomson.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to turn on the logging for JSF, and output the logs to
> catalina_log.txt in tomcat 5.0.28. Below are the steps that I have taken
> to no avail.
>
> 1. Updated catalina.bat with
>
> SET
> CATALINA_OPTS=-Djava.util.logging.config.file=C:\Java\jakarta-tomcat-5.0
> .28\conf\logging.properties
>
> 2. Coppied the logging.properties file from jre\lib to tomcat\conf
> directory
>
> 3. Changed the following properties in the logging.properties from INFO
> to FINEST
>
> .level= FINEST
> java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level = FINEST
>
> And added
>
> com.sun.faces.level=FINEST
>
> After taking these steps tomcat starts to log to the console but not to
> the catalina_log.txt.
>
> And I have the following questions
>
> 1. I was wondering how can I direct the logs to catalina_out.txt rather
> then the console

The default JDK logging.properties only log to the console. There is an
additional line (commented out)
which allows you to use the java.util.logging.FileHandler additionally:
# "handlers" specifies a comma separated list of log Handler
# classes.  These handlers will be installed during VM startup.
# Note that these classes must be on the system classpath.
# By default we only configure a ConsoleHandler, which will only
# show messages at the INFO and above levels.
handlers= java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler

# To also add the FileHandler, use the following line instead.
#handlers= java.util.logging.FileHandler, java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler

Also specifiy
java.util.logging.FileHandler.pattern = %h/java%u.log
with the correct path to your logging directory and a better name for it.
> 2. Also JSF uses java.util.logging to do its logging, I was wondering
> also how can I turn on the this logging in tomcat.
If this is a default installation and no other apps are running in it,
you just have to remove any log4j.jars from
the classpath.

Regards
Boris