tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>
Subject Re: how to over come toomanyconnection error when communicatingMYSQL
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 06:59:12 GMT
prakash shanmugam wrote:
> hai all,
> i have one major issue in my project..
> My project is developed using jsp,servlets in Tomcat5 with MySql as
> database.. i am using type1 driver
> My project is now used by end users in intranet..
> When multiple users are accessing at the same time ,its throwing too many
> connections exception at sometimes . And at sometimes its dispaying
> error as
> "Operation not allowed after ResultSet is closed"
> i dont know how to rectify this .. Can anybody help me to overcome this..
> Here is my bean file used for establing database connections...
This is a design issue problem. This is wrong for several reason:
1) you need to go through the authentification protocol each time a page
is requested, depending on database type, and server load, this can take
up to 1 seconds (it can sometime take up to 2 seconds on overloaded
oracle database , by experience)
2) several concurrent page load mean several concurrent  acces to your
class, however, your class is designed with only static method, there is
no concurrency check, very bad (probably the reason of your already
closed exceptions)
3) your are hardcoding the various db information, including password
4) if something prevent call to CloseAll() (like another exception
during process), you get a connection which is pending open.

Suggestion:
1) use database pooling (allows for concurrency while not needing to
authenticate each time), and prefer the use of a jndi datasource for
your pooling
2) as it seems you are reading quite simple classical datas from a
database, i recommend the use of some automated persistence, like
hibernate 3. (http://www.hibernate.org). This can take you 2 or 3 days
to learn and an additionnal day to set it up, but when it comes to
accessing database and presenting the datas as object which gets
automatically persisted / updated, you are gaining lots of developpment
time and make your code very easier to read.