tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mikolaj Rydzewski <>
Subject Re: User database and user attributes
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 21:25:22 GMT
Robert Harper wrote:
> I am using the Tomcat user database to hold information for users.
> What I need to do is retrieve the group a user is in from the
> database. My problem comes when I have a servlet add a new user,
> assign it to a roll and a group, then try to access the user from
> another servlet running in the same context. I often get exceptions
> thrown when I call the save() method on the user object stating that
> Tomcat cannot rename the tomcat-users.xml to tomcat-users.xml.old. The
> user info is still in memory and if enough time passes or the server
> is stopped, the data eventually gets flushed to disk. There are
> methods for finding the user, finding a roll, and finding a group, but
> I don’t see a method for finding a group for a given user using the
> MBeanServer().
> I had been using the XML libraries to load the database and then
> search through it finding the user then getting the assigned roll but
> it only works when the new user information is flushed to disk. What
> would be the best way to do this?
Use some kind of a database related realm:

Memory realm (tomcat-users.xml file) is a very simple one, following
documentation: "*MemoryRealm* is a simple demonstration implementation
of the Tomcat 5 |Realm| interface. It is not designed for production use."

Mikolaj Rydzewski      <>
                    PGP KeyID: 8b12ab02
There are three kinds of people: men, women and unix.

View raw message