tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Code performance question #1
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2006 15:45:57 GMT
I have a couple of questions about the performance of my code, but I'm
going to ask them in separate threads.

The first one is, if I have this loop:

        for ( ii = 0; ii < data.length; ii++ ) {

where data is defined as byte[] , is the .length property evaluated each
time through the loop, or is it only evaluated once?  I know many
languages only evaluate it once, so there's no performance benefit to
storing it in an integer and using that as the loop upper index, but
don't know if that is also the case for Java.  The data length usually
runs about 50 bytes, and this loop is executed more than 2 million times
per day, so even a small performance improvement is helpful.

Thanks for any info!
Dave