tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Servlet that needs ROOT access
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 12:03:02 GMT
Is it possible to run tomcat as root?  Yes.
Is it advised? No.

I think you're on the right track with the separate process idea.  That
would limit the opportunities presented to would be hackers.  Another
idea, you might be able to do something with the sudo command and
Runtime.exec() as long as you have very tight control over what commands
are executed that way.

--David