tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Eric Berry" <elbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT: Apache] Re: Virtual Hosting with Apache and mod_jk
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2006 19:48:57 GMT
Hi Chris,
On 8/2/06, Christopher Schultz <chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
> Eric,
>
> >        /*.jsp ajp13
> >        /*.do ajp13
>
> I assume these lines say "JkMount" before the paths...?

This is correct, sorry (bad rectangular copy).

> Are you using "name based virtual hosting" -- meaning that the hostname
> chooses the VirtualHost? Or, do you have multiple IP addresses pointing
> to the same server, and you are using IP address to choose the virtual host.
>
> If you are using "name based virtual hosting", then the ServerName head
> is /required/ to make it work: you cannot get it to work using just the
> IP address.

I'm using name based virtual hosting and found a solution to my first
problem by putting a VirtualHost in where the ServerName is the IP
address of the machine, and pointing the DocumentRoot to the manual
directory.
<VirtualHost *:80>
        DocumentRoot /opt/apps/apache2/manual
        ServerName 192.168.0.109
</VirtualHost>
(This works for me, since I'll only be accessing it through the local network)

> Generally, this is done with separate VirtualHost entries in httpd.conf,
> with a separate set of JkMount directives in each one: the configuration
> is handled entirely in Apache, so you don't have to do anything weird in
> your Tomcat configuration (as long as your <Engine>'s "defaultHost" is
> set to the same value as your simple <Host> entry).
>
> You do not need to use mod_rewrite to do this.
>
> If you are going to be running separate applications for each
> VirtualHost, I recommend running them in different instances of Tomcat.
> This will allow you to administer them separately. Also, if you have to
> take one of them offline (or one of them dies unexpectedly), the others
> are not interrupted.

I wanted to use mod_rewrite to avoid having to edit the httpd.conf and
server.xml files whenever I wanted to add another host, but since
there won't be more than 3 or 4, this will be fine. :)

Thank you for the advice regarding multiple instances of Tomcat, this
is a great idea and I will read the documentation on it, but if there
are any pointers anyone has they'd be greatly appreciated.

One last question, I recently tried to use Apache 2.2.3, and found
that mod_jk wouldn't compile against it, has anyone had similar
issues? I'm happy with Apache 2.0, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks again,
Eric

--
Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.