tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Matthew Clarkson <m...@mail.netera.ca>
Subject Tomcat 5.0.28p1 on OpenBSD acting very slow
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2006 20:22:26 GMT
I need to offload tomcat onto one of our webservers while I rebuild
our main tomcat machine running tomcat 4.1.30.  The webserver I'm
putting it on right now is running OpenBSD 3.8 with java 1.5.0 and
bsd-patchset 1, with openbsd's specific patches and is running tomcat
5.0.28p1.  The problem that I am running into is that when making a
database query, it takes a long time to refresh the page (about 3-4
seconds, as opposed to ~1/2 second on our main tomcat machine).

The items which are slow which pertain to my catalina.out are the
following types of requests (db requests)

2006-08-18 13:53:13,298 PostgresTimesheetManager - (305) retreiving
ts entry for Fri Aug 18 13:53:13 MDT 2006
2006-08-18 13:53:22,535 PostgresTimesheetManager - (305) retreiving
ts entry for Fri Aug 11 13:53:22 MDT 2006

what happens is that those lines will come up in catalina.out, and
then the screen will update about 3-4 seconds later.

I have read the page http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=java/
77162 relating to freebsd with a similar problem and using the same
patchset, however, I have manually patched jdk-1.5.0 with bsd-
patchset-2 (patchset-3 breaks jdk during build) and I run into the
same problem as I previously stated (long delay).

Is anyone successfully running tomcat 5.0.* on openbsd?  Is this a
problem with upgrading from tomcat 4.1 to 5.0? or if neither of
these, does anyone know what my problem might be, and how I can
correct it?

Also, the newest OpenBSD release (3.9) is supposed to contain the bsd-
patchset-3 for jdk-1.5.0.  Is anyone running tomcat on this release
successfully?

Thanks in advance.

--
Matthew Clarkson