tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Andrés González" <ang...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: manager/status data
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:22:37 GMT
On 8/29/06, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:
> Andrés González wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I'm searching a way to understand every detail of the manager/status
> > page. I've tried the doc, the source code... but can't answer
> > something like:
> >
> > - why is jvm-free-memory != jvm-max-memory - jvm-total-memory
>
> Because the initial memory java requests (-Xms option) isn't the same
> as the maximum memory it is able to request (-Xmx option).

Mmmm... i've been "investigating".

I think what you say iw the reason for
jvm-max-memory != jvm-total-memory

The reason of "free memory"  being != "max-memory - total-memory" i
think is that "free memory" does not mean "size of aditional memory
that can be allocated by the jvm" BUT "size of the memory *already*
alocated but not in use at the moment". That number, for example, gets
high each time the gc is run.

So you could define the following ratios:

%free memory in the JVM = free/total * 100
%memory allocated vs maximum memory allocatable = total/max * 100

Am i right?