tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Harper" <rob...@iat-cti.com>
Subject User database and user attributes
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 20:26:23 GMT
I am using the Tomcat user database to hold information for users. What I
need to do is retrieve the group a user is in from the database. My problem
comes when I have a servlet add a new user, assign it to a roll and a group,
then try to access the user from another servlet running in the same
context. I often get exceptions thrown when I call the save() method on the
user object stating that Tomcat cannot rename the tomcat-users.xml to
tomcat-users.xml.old. The user info is still in memory and if enough time
passes or the server is stopped, the data eventually gets flushed to disk.
There are methods for finding the user, finding a roll, and finding a group,
but I don't see a method for finding a group for a given user using the
MBeanServer().

I had been using the XML libraries to load the database and then search
through it finding the user then getting the assigned roll but it only works
when the new user information is flushed to disk. What would be the best way
to do this?

Robert S. Harper
Senior Engineer
Information Access Technology, Inc.
1100 East 6600 South, Suite 300
Salt Lake City Utah USA 84121-7411

(801)265-8800 Ext. 255
FAX (801)265-8880

This e-mail is intended only for the addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged information. Any review, retransmission, or action taken
upon this information by persons other than the intended recipient is
prohibited by law. If you received this communication in error, please
contact us immediately at 801-265-8800. Although this e-mail and any
attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect, it is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure that anything received or opened
is virus free. No responsibility is accepted by IAT for any loss or damage
in the event that such a virus or defect exists.