tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Edmon Begoli" <ebeg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PS Old Gen filling up...
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:43:15 GMT
Darren,

Old Gen filling up is usually an indicator of a memory leak.

Other possibility is that object creation is very fast and that
garbage collector can not keep up.  Since you are using parallel
collector it is also a possibility that it needs some tweaking.

The Recalcitrant Engineer ( http://www.burnthacker.com ) blog has a
good post somewhere on tweaking the parallel connector.  Site seems to
be too busy now so I can't find it.

Regards,
Edmon

On 7/12/06, Darren Kukulka <Darren.Kukulka@connaught.plc.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> Got a situation here where PS Old Gen within the JVM heap is gradually
> filling up and locking to a point where GC will not release any of it and
> the application hangs.
>

> Running Tomcat 5.5.15 and SUN JDK 1.5_07.
>

> Machine is an 8GB dual Xeon processor Dell 2850.
>

> The JVM options are set as follows;
>

> -Dcatalina.home=F:\tomcat5
>
> -Dcatalina.base=F:\tomcat5
>
> -Djava.endorsed.dirs=F:\tomcat5\common\endorsed
>
> -Djava.io.tmpdir=F:\tomcat5\temp
>
> -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
>
> -Djava.util.logging.config.file=F:\tomcat5\conf\logging.properties
>
> -Duser.language=en
>
> -Duser.country=GB
>
> -Xms1330m
>
> -Xmx1330m
>
> -XX:+UseParallelGC
>
> -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2
>
> -XX:+UseParallelOldGC
>
> -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy
>
> -XX:NewSize=400m
>
> -XX:MaxNewSize=400m
>
> -XX:PermSize=128m
>
> -XX:MaxPermSize=128m
>

> Has anyone had similar behaviour or can you point me in the right direction?
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Darren Kukulka
>

> Connaught honoured AIM 'Decade of Excellence' Award
>

> Connaught awarded Partnering Contractor of the Year 2005
>

> Connaught wins AIM 'Company of the Year' award 2004
>

> West of England Business of the Year Award Winner 2003
>

> Why not visit our website http://www.connaught.plc.uk
>

> Disclaimer:
>
> The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information
by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this
in error, please contact the sender and delete this message.

--
Thank you,
Edmon Begoli