tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Tomi NA" <hef...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Usage of Ibatis in production
Date Sat, 29 Jul 2006 16:05:53 GMT
> I almost agree, but one point of clarification: iBATIS is not ORM,
> which is a way to map tables and views to Java beans.
>
> iBATIS is SQL mapping, and there are a few key differences. First and
> foremost is that you can map from anything to anything.
>
> Not just tables and views to beans, but also queries or stored
> procedures to beans or Maps or even XML - one way to look at iBATIS is
> just as JDBC made simple. No more connection /statement/resultset
> resource management, no more indexed parameter mapping, no more
> StringBuilder SQL statement builders. Just simple (or complex) SQL
> mapped to java objects.

This specific discrepency is only a natural result of my very
superficial understanding of what iBatis does which is why I welcome
the correction. :)
However, experience teaches me that, although ORM claims it, it is far
from simple, but way better than no ORM. In that sense, it is a step
in the right direction.

> For some interesting reading on why I use tools like iBATIS instead of
> ORM tools, here are some articles on the topic...
>
> http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000621.html
>
> http://blogs.tedneward.com/2006/06/26/The+Vietnam+Of+Computer+Science.aspx
>
> Larry

I'm not particularily fond of absolute statements so the arguments
I've read don't sit well with me. We use cayenne and LLBL in my
company and we've never looked back. Sure, it took time to learn,
sure, it's easy for a novice to make mistakes, but it works very well
and cuts our development time radically, boosts application
maintainability just as much and makes the code much, much more
independent of the RDBMS (we've built two apps working on at least 2
RDBMSes).
Someone else might have different experiences.

t.n.a.