tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Cameron Currie" <ccur...@tamu.edu>
Subject Re: Database Connection Error Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2006 16:04:30 GMT
I haven't gotten it working yet, but I think David may be on the right
track. Here's what I did:

I changed my file at '/etc/tomcat5/policy.d/03catalina.policy' to
properly point to my connector.jar and also changed the permissions to
include:
permission java.net.SocketPermission "localhost", "connect,resolve";
permission java.net.SocketPermission "localhost:3306", "connect,resolve";

Alas, this did not work. I googled for information on Tomcat's
security manager and found this message (possibly from this very
mailing list?):
http://marc2.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=109912397815989&w=2

I also read through the tomcat security manager documentation. I found
a debug option to pass to tomcat (-Djava.security.debug=all). In order
to use it I started tomcat with startup.sh (as opposed to the
/etc/init.d/ script).

I saw no debugging information. But our webapps worked!

I assume starting tomcat this way does not start up the security
manager. Hopefully I can get the policy properly configured so that I
don't have to manually start up tomcat!

On 7/20/06, David Smith <dns4@cornell.edu> wrote:
> java.security.AccessControlException indicates you are running tomcat
> with the security manager.  You'll need to edit your catalina.policy
> file to allow this connection.  The policy file itself has a number of
> examples, here's just one modified to your situation below:
>
> grant codebase
> "jar:file:${catalina.home}/common/lib/mysql-connector-java-3.14.jar!/-" {
>     permission java.net.SocketPermission "127.0.0.1:3306", "connect" ;
> }
>
> --David
>
> Bob Hall wrote:
>
> >Cameron,
> >
> >You wrote:
> >

> >>I have a newly installed and configured Ubuntu
> >>server running
> >>Tomcat5.5 and Mysql 5.0. This server was created in
> >>an attempt to
> >>migrate from a Red Hat server in a similar
> >>configuration, running the
> >>exact same webapp. Most of the
> >>configuration/classpath differences
> >>between the two platforms have been ironed out.
> >>
> >>The Problem:
> >>
> >>When our webapp trys to connect to the database on
> >>localhost, an exception
> >>
> >>'java.security.AccessControlException: access denied
> >>(java.net.SocketPermission localhost resolve)'
> >>
> >>is generated.
> >>

> >Looks like the OS is unable to resolve localhost.
> >Does the ubuntu server have the following in its
> >/ect/hosts file?
> >
> >127.0.0.1    localhost
> >
> >-Bob

Cameron Currie