tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Larry Meadors" <lmead...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] Usage of Ibatis in production
Date Sat, 29 Jul 2006 15:27:50 GMT
I almost agree, but one point of clarification: iBATIS is not ORM,
which is a way to map tables and views to Java beans.

iBATIS is SQL mapping, and there are a few key differences. First and
foremost is that you can map from anything to anything.

Not just tables and views to beans, but also queries or stored
procedures to beans or Maps or even XML - one way to look at iBATIS is
just as JDBC made simple. No more connection /statement/resultset
resource management, no more indexed parameter mapping, no more
StringBuilder SQL statement builders. Just simple (or complex) SQL
mapped to java objects.

For some interesting reading on why I use tools like iBATIS instead of
ORM tools, here are some articles on the topic...

http://blogs.tedneward.com/2006/06/26/The+Vietnam+Of+Computer+Science.aspx

Larry