tomcat-users mailing list archives

From ckn...@onebox.com
Subject RE: RE: BOOBIES!
Date Sun, 23 Jul 2006 12:53:29 GMT
By resisting the thread (an understandable and perfectly reasonable tack) you have missed some
facts. I (who posted a link to a bird) was very definitely not the original poster nor did
I use any of the other words that some have found so offensive. I simply thought by injecting
a light-hearted jest (the picture of the bird) into the overheated atmosphere that others
might use the opportunity to regain some perspective on the situation.

Another reader (who apparently also wasn't paying close attention) called me a "low-life"
without so much as clicking on the link. This person, who goes by the pseudonym "Dakota Jack",
in so-doing has done me a undeserved public injury by libeling me in this forum.

Unlike "Dakota Jack" my real name appears here, and being recklessly and carelessly called
a "low-life" in a public forum has the potential to do some real harm to my reputation.
--
Charles Knell
cknell@onebox.com - email

-----Original Message-----
From:     Januski, Ken <kjanuski@phillynews.com>
Sent:     Sun, 23 Jul 2006 08:25:52 -0400
To:       "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>;"Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Subject:  RE: BOOBIES!

Like many I've resisted this thread because I figured it would be STUPID! STUPID, YES I SAID
STUPID. Did that get your attention?

Now let me ask: how many people read threads here whose subject is in caps followed by an
explanation point? And what does that subject usually say? Something like HELP, TOMCAT DONT
WORK, a type of spam or something similar. I almost always skip those messages. Some people
have more patience than I and so do end up helping someone who has gotten desperate. More
experienced users know that they're much more likely to get an answer to their question by
choosing a more informative and less excited subject.

So what does someone think when they see BOOBIES! and what did the author of that message
think that they would think? Well I have little doubt that they expected anyone to think of
birds and I doubt that that was the first reaction of any reader no matter how avid a birder.
So I have a very hard time believing that the author had any intent other than to get a reaction
of some sort from readers who saw the subject and didn't think bird. I don't think this has
anything to do with puritanism or political correctness. I can't think of anything I like
much less than political correctness. But it's very hard to see this as having anything to
do with political correctness. To me it's just someone trying to be clever and then trying
to cover their tracks when they find out that many uses don't actually find it clever. ENOUGH
SAID!