tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: [OT] Re: PUT or POST?
Date Sun, 30 Jul 2006 14:11:31 GMT
Nikola,

> It is also a question of semantics. If the technical side is the
> same, then let us communicate our intentions clearly.
>
> PUT - request that will create an object on the server side,
> accessible via the given URL. Used for object upload.

This is a good point: one of the headers that should be submitted along
with the PUT request is the URL through which the new object should be
available after the PUT successfully completes. If you do not intend to
make that new object available at the specified URL after the PUT, then
you are violating HTTP spec.

Not sure if you care about this violation, but it's something to consider.

-chris