tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Boris Unckel <boris.unckel....@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Frustrated by NoClassDefFound errors
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 08:45:23 GMT
Hello Timothy,

Timothy Collett wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I've been using Tomcat for some time now, but recently I started
> getting a series of intermittent NoClassDefFound errors.  They were
> first occurring with the Commons Configuration package (specifically,
> org.apache.commons.configuration.PropertiesConfiguration), though I
> was occasionally able to make those go away with some fiddling
> (unfortunately, I'm not quite sure just *which* fiddling it was that
> fixed it, aside from the times when I simply commented it out...).
> However, once that disappeared, I started having problems with the
> AspectJ package (org.aspectj.lang.Signature, being called from
> Class.forName).
>
> In an effort to track down the problem, I created a fresh install of
> Tomcat, and it still cannot find the org.aspectj.lang.Signature.
>
> The jars in question were all originally placed in the
> $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib directory (after I did a little tidying
> up).  I've tried them in the shared/lib directory as well, to no avail.
>
> I'm running Tomcat 5.5.17 on Mac OS X 10.4.7, with JDK 1.5.0_06.
The usage of common/lib or common/shared is generally not a good idea if
you are not forced to do it (i.E. a JDBC-Driver).
Does AspectJ have the requirement to be in common/lib or shared/lib?
If not, try to put everything in your webapps/WEB-INF/lib directory.
Even if this would mean to duplicate it for several webapps.
Please give feedback for the results (in positive and negative case)

Regards
Boris