tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: Tomcat Not An App Server
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:05:43 GMT
Mike,

> I know that Tomcat is not really an App Server like JBoss etc...

Some may argue with me, but I would consider Tomcat an app server. JBoss
happens to be an EJB container as well as a servlet container (and
provides some other services as well), while Tomcat provides only the
servlet container and some directory services.

> However, if I had a component that was not a web application and I
> wanted to start it inside tomcat how could I do that ?

> Is there some configuration file I would need to add something to in
> order to have a component started and would I need to implement some
> Tomcat interface to do it?

What do you want to run inside of Tomcat that is not a web application?
Tomcat is basically a web application container, so I'm not sure what
else you'd want to run.

-chris